Do you use Social Communities like Facebook or MySpace? I have to admit that I have had mine for less than a year. I started it a while back with the main objective of seeing exactly what it was about it that made my teenagers go to it CONSTANTLY. I just didn't "get" it. I mean they see these people all day at school then they got on Facebook at night and "chatted" sent messages and who knew what else.
So, being the "good, concerned and involved" parent that I am ... I established my own Facebook and immediately requested them to be my "friends". Well ... that was about 10 months and over 200 friends ago! Now ... I am addicted to it too! However I have to say that I don't use it as a means to "chat" to friends who I see every day. I have discovered a whole new way for technology to help me find and keep in touch with people I have known for the past 40 some years!
I now can talk to friends from High School and College that I haven't seen in years. Friends that we have had the opportunity to meet all over the world through the Military and family members who have moved away! It is AMAZING!
I know that social community critics say that it is a useless waste of time for young people, and while on some levels I am sure there is truth to that statement. However I have seen first hand just how useful a tool it can be when used for it's intended purpose and I for one say GOOD FOR YOU FACEBOOK! Keep up the good work!
If you would have asked me even a year ago if I would ever be this connected to Facebook I would have said ABSOLUTELY NOT! Wow, what a difference a few months and a whole lot of past friendships recconnting can make in a persons opinion.
What are your thoughts? Like em ... or hate em?

No comments:
Post a Comment