Today I read an article from the "Accidental Hedonist" on blog lines about the ongoing debate over junk foods being sold in schools. Just recently my High School Freshman came home from school complaining that due to state laws they were no longer going to be able to purchase sodas during school hours on school grounds. Of course he felt this was "the stupidest things EVER!" I reminded him that "way back in the 1980's dark ages" my school actually turned the soda machines backwards during school hours, and then turned them back around when the final bell for the day rang. I reminded him of one of my favorite sayings ... "That which does not KILL you will make you stronger!" and I assured him that not purchasing a soda certainly would not kill him.
However in the article I read to day the topic wasn't about if the students should be allowed to have junk food and soda's available to them in school vending machines ... that seemed to be agreed on by everyone that it should NOT be allowed. However the concern now is if we should allow the TEACHERS to have access to the same foods in their lounges. The debate (as you can imagine) was heated on both sides. There were arguments allowing for these types of food for teachers because they are adults and therefore have the RIGHT to make their own choices. Also it was stated (by a teacher) that they often are in such a rush in the morning that they don't have time to remember to bring their own soda's and don't have time to run out during the day. Of course on the other side of the argument there were cases presented for setting an example for the students, and that proper nutrition is not only for the young ... but adults as well.
My personal opinion? I don't think it should matter for students OR teachers. However ... regardless of what you decide the rules should be the same for everyone. Just like I told my son ... "if it won't kill the students ... it won't kill the teachers either." Besides, there are convenience stores on nearly every other corner in America ... so just stop on the way to school if you can make it through the day without your soda or snacks. That's what my kids do!
What are your thoughts on the Junk Food in School issue? Feel free to share them!
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Personally I would rather they take the junk food out of the schools. Having dealt with weight issues my whole life I know how difficult it can be to avoid the junk and stay on track. It's even worse when you're a child and your given free reign. Most parents don't realize there's a problem that has their children turning to food for comfort. For some it's not a problem, but if by taking it out you help just one person isn't it worth it? Secondary to that are the adverse effects of soda....carbonation causes bloating and affects memory, the needless sugar and/or sodium contribute to migranes and poor heart health. With either scenario it's a win-win situation if you get rid of the "junk."
ReplyDeleteGREAT COMMENT ANNE! Weight issues have never been a serious problem for me and thanfully for my children so junk food is not something we have a monitor very heavily in our house. It is always good for us to look at ALL SIDES of an issue and you brought out some very good points! Thanks for sharing!!!
ReplyDeleteWe had vending machines available in school when I was a kid. I'm not sure I agree or disagree that they should be removed from schools for children but I don't think it is fair for kids to see what teacher's CAN have and what they can't. You always want more of what you can't have-what's been denied you. Kids will get it somewhere. Teacher's can always stop at a store on the way to school if they forgot to bring soda with them. A topic for good discussion would be how bad soda really is for you to better open up minds for those unaware. Kids need to better understand why soda should be avoided, not for weight gain necessarily but for more serious problems that can result from drinking soda. Especially now that they have so many additional bad choices to make when in the soda frig in stores with all those energy drinks!
ReplyDeleteWe had vending machines available in school when I was a kid. I'm not sure I necessarily agree or disagree that they should be removed from schools for children but I don't think it is fair for kids to see what teacher's CAN have and what they can't. You always want more of what you can't have-what's been denied you. Kids will get it somewhere. Teacher's can always stop at a store on the way to school if they forgot to bring soda with them. A topic for good discussion would be how bad soda really is for you to better open up minds for those unaware. Kids need to better understand why soda should be avoided, not for weight gain necessarily but for more serious problems that can result from drinking soda. Especially now that they have so many additional bad choices to make when in the soda frig in stores with all those energy drinks!
ReplyDelete